Current Page: 1
What is a Web Framework?
A web framework is a code library which helps you to build a flexible, scalable, and maintainable; dynamic website, web app, and web services. Different web frameworks are Zend for PHP, Ruby on Rails for Ruby, etc.
What is Django?
Django is a web development framework for Python which offers a standard method for fast and effective website development. It helps you to assists in building and maintaining quality web applications. It enables you to make the development process smooth and time-saving.
It is a high-level web framework which allows performing rapid development. The primary goal of this web framework is to create complex database-driven websites.
Django makes it easier to build better web apps quickly and with less code.
Note − Django is a registered trademark of the Django Software Foundation, and is licensed under BSD License.
History of Django
* 2003 − Started by Adrian Holovaty and Simon Willison as an internal project at the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper.
* 2005 − Released July 2005 and named it Django, after the jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt.
* 2005 − Mature enough to handle several high-traffic sites.
* Current − Django is now an open source project with contributors across the world.
Why Django? – Design Philosophies
Django comes with the following design philosophies −
* Loosely Coupled − Django aims to make each element of its stack independent of the others.
* Less Coding − Less code so in turn a quick development.
* Don’t Repeat Yourself (DRY) − Everything should be developed only in exactly one place instead of repeating it again and again.
* Fast Development − Django’s philosophy is to do all it can to facilitate hyper-fast development.
* Clean Design − Django strictly maintains a clean design throughout its own code and makes it easy to follow best web-development practices.
Here, are prime reasons for using Django:
Django is easy to set up and run. It offers a variety of options to get started
It provides a ready-to-use user interface for administrative activities
It enables multilingual websites by using its built-in internationalization system
Helps you to meet the massive traffic demands quickly
Django is used to build all types of content management systems, social networks as well as scientific computing platforms.
Django helps you to provide end-to-end application testing
Helps you to document your API with an HTML output
REST (REST acronym stands for Representational State Transfer, which is an architectural design.)Framework has rich support for several authentication protocols
Permissions and throttling policies
It is widely used for rate limiting API requests from a single user.
Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) Support − Django provides a bridge between the data model and the database engine, and supports a large set of database systems including MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, etc. Django also supports NoSQL database through Django-nonrel fork. For now, the only NoSQL databases supported are MongoDB and google app engine.
Multilingual Support − Django supports multilingual websites through its built-in internationalization system. So you can develop your website, which would support multiple languages.
Framework Support − Django has built-in support for Ajax, RSS, Caching and various other frameworks.
Administration GUI − Django provides a nice ready-to-use user interface for administrative activities.
Development Environment − Django comes with a lightweight web server to facilitate end-to-end application development and testing.